This week in our booth at the OLA Super Conference, we decided, once again, to give out buttons. We wanted to have buttons that would be interactive, and spread the Tinlids name to as many librarians, teachers and lovers of children’s books as possible. So we came up with 8 buttons that could answer the question “What kind of Book are you?”
The button choices:
I am a Mystery
I am a Horror Story
I am Poetry
I am a Complicated Plot
I am Loosely Based on a True Story
I am a Tear Jerker
I am Edgy
I am Supernatural
On Thursday and Friday we gave out over 500 buttons and it was fascinating to watch people try to decide which button described them best. Here are some of my observations:
- The most popular button was “I am loosely based on a true story”, followed by “I am a Complicated Plot” . Whenever someone couldn’t decide, it was usually between one of these two buttons.
- The first button I wore was “I am a Horror Story”. I got lots of comments like “Oh Maria, you’re not a horror story” (some people would disagree) or “you shouldn’t wear that button – people might be afraid to come into your booth” (really? )
- Only 4 men chose “I am Poetry” – what’s that all about? Was it the colour? (pink). But the men who did choose “I am Poetry” seemed really happy and grounded…..Most of the men chose “I am Edgy” – yep, you’re all tough guys…
- The people who chose the mystery buttons seemed to be the quiet types… most of them didn’t hesitate, and walked away quickly… It made me feel like I should follow them… what were they up to??
- “I am a tear jerker” - the ones who chose this were mostly women. They didn’t have any problem expressing themselves and letting me know how they felt. They seemed sweet and funny. It wasn’t a popular one with the men. Scott said maybe it would be interpreted as“I’m a heartbreaker”, so it would seem arrogant. Hmmmm. That was interesting. The women just thought it meant “I’m expressive, or emotional, or I cry easily".
I really loved hearing friends choose for each other… “You are DEFINITELY a horror story!” “Really? No I can’t wear that” or “You’re SO not edgy” And the sweetest children’s author (can you guess who?) said “Well I WANT to be edgy…”
99% of the people who chose the “I am Supernatural” button, were red-heads. Seriously. Or goth girls.
I really loved all of the ideas teachers and librarians had for programming and writing activities. The buttons suddenly morphed into the best tools for their language arts program. So we decided we will be selling all 8 buttons as a package. Check our website this week for ordering info.
The first day of the show, I started out as a horror story, until I had enough coffee, and then I changed to “I am a Complicated Plot”, “I am Poetry” and by the end of the day I was wearing “I am Edgy”. When I put on the Poetry button I did get some sweet remarks… “Yes, you ARE poetry!” But when I put on the “I am Supernatural” button, I seemed to be a magnet and suddenly I was getting hugs from people who never hugged me before! Okay…. I’m just sayin’…. Who knows? I kept that one on for the rest of the day.
If you were at our booth and chose a button, thanks for getting involved. It was lots of fun for us.
What button did you choose? Did it work any magic for you?
(For information on ordering a set of buttons, please click here.)